Confined Space Surveys
Safety is Technics’ number one mission, therefore all projects are undertaken in line with regulation, intrinsically safe equipment & trained operatives.
What are confined space regulations and when do they apply?
In the UK, the Confined Spaces Regulation 1997 governs work carried out in confined spaces.
It applies to any place that is substantially – but not necessarily entirely – enclosed, and where hazardous substances or conditions (either within the space itself or nearby), such as a lack of oxygen, mean there is potential for serious injury to occur. The regulation places the following key responsibilities on employers:
- Where possible, avoid entering confined spaces entirely, eg. by performing the work from outside.
- Should entry to the confined space prove unavoidable, ensure that a safe system of work is implemented and followed.
- Establish adequate emergency arrangements before the work commences.
Types of confined spaces
A vast range of industrial and infrastructure-related spaces are classed as “confined”. While not intended as an exhaustive list, common environments that are regarded as a confined space include:
- Inspection chambers
- Enclosed drains
- Storage tanks
However, it is important to remember that some confined spaces are less obvious, but can be just as dangerous. These can include:
- Open-topped chambers, pits and trenches
- Poorly ventilated rooms and basements
- Combustion chambers and flues in furnaces
How can Technics help?
Technics has CS2 – Confined Space Entry and Rescue Techniques With Escape Sets (RoSPA Approved) trained operatives and intrinsically safe equipment. We can provide you with the following services and deliverables:
- Safe working systems and method statements
- 3D laser scanning of tunnels and structures
- Deep sewer CCTV drainage surveys
- Structural surveys using high-frequency ground penetrating radar
- Photographic records
- Written reports
To find out more or to discuss your requirements, please call our offices and speak to our Project Management teams or email firstname.lastname@example.org.